8th Grade Seminar Update — March

Here’s what’s happening in 8th Grade Seminar:

There’s a myriad of ways to read TKAM.  Some students may read it independently.  Others may join us for “read-aloud” during class.  I also have audio links here.  This is a super challenging text (especially at the beginning) and I encourage all students to listen to the audio and track as they track the book.  I have audio links available here (and on Google Classroom).

In class, we are continuing to practice those strategies that “good” readers do to better understand and delve into text.  We’ll continue to annotate, learning about “Atticus-isms,” determining what makes an important passage in a book, performing skits, cementing our understanding of figurative language, and continuing our conversations about To Kill A Mockingbird. Here’s a link to our book group menus to give you a taste of what this looks like in class.

Upcoming Dates Of Note:

• Every night: Read 30 minutes.  Students should not be reading ahead in TKAM, so they will likely need a book on the side to meet the CHOICE reading requirement.  I’ll be recommending books in class (and students are always welcome to email me) — but here’s also a padlet of book recommendations.
  • Tuesday:  Chapters 3 and 4 in TKAM with annotations. (We’ll be reading chapter 3 together in class on Monday).  Skit performances on Wednesday.
  • Wednesday:  Book Group Menu #2 Due
  • Monday, March 9th:  Chapters 5-8 of To Kill A Mockingbird with annotations.  “Surprise” reading-check quiz on that day.
  • Tuesday, March 10th:  Book Group Menu #3 Due
  • Wednesday, March 11th:   “Speed dating” with books.  Students will have the opportunity to “date” some books and will need to identify a choice novel outside of TKAM to read over Spring break.  
  • Monday, March 16th:  Chapters 9-11 w/annotations due.
  • Tuesday, March 17th: “Reverse” Book Menus due.
  • Thursday, March 19th, Friday, March 20th, Monday, March 30th:  No class — Voyagers Field Trip, Athletic Day, CMAS
  • Tuesday, March 31st:  Chapters 12-14 w/annotations
Thank you so much for the opportunity to teach your student!  -JF
Ps. Unofficial Endorsement:  In my official capacity of a parent (and not employee of BVSD), wanted to let you know that if your 8th grader is still figuring out plans for the summer, Boulder Youth Corps and Boulder Junior Rangers are amazing programs.  A number of former CHOICE students have really enjoyed this opportunity. Students learn responsibility, work as part of a team, and also earn good $.  (Starting salary is $12/hour!)